Wednesday, April 23, 2014

5th Graders Spice up Writing with Sensory Words

Students in Mrs. Richardson's fifth grade class at Corey Elementary School learned how to turn mundane writing into interesting pieces that capture readers' attention, like transforming a plain vanilla ice-cream scoop into a delicious, fudge-covered sundae with sprinkles!



After a class discussion on using the five senses to describe a common event, students then used iPads to access Kidblog.org (the district's recommended and supported blogging platform) to create original blog posts describing a night at the movies. They flavored their writing with sensory descriptions, then published their posts for the class. They finished up by commenting on each other's posts, providing constructive feedback and encouraging words. Students love feedback from their peers!

Here's a small sample of some of their awesome writing (first drafts):

As I enter the theater a rush of cold air slaps me. The scent of buttery popcorn is delightful. I watch as tons of people wait in plush chairs at the front desk for the movie to start. As my friend and I enter the movie theater we can hear children munching on crunchy popcorn, and light chatter before the film starts. (by Sofia M.)

My best friend and I get out of the car, so the ice underneath our feet breaks with a crash. Our shoes are soaked in frigid waters, when we move away our feet freeze or at least it feels like it. When we get inside an aroma of buttery popcorn attacks me. The line is full of cold, waiting people loudly saying how come they have to wait in such a long line.  (by Amber B.)

On an awesome Friday night me and my mom are going to see The Amazing Spider man 2. I felt so optimistic it was such a lure to me and everybody. Once we got in line I can smell the aroma of sweet candy and buttery popcorn popping in the machine. (by Victor B.)

Now that students know how to use Kidblog, they can post all kinds of things in their classes- including their digital works they create using iPads. Hats off to Mrs. Richardson for providing such opportunities!



On a side note, the class began their science review for the STAAR test as I was packing up. Mrs. Richardson used Kahoot! to motivate and engage students- the faster you answer, the more points you get! I stuck around just long enough to play a few rounds. After sweating it out, I now have evidence that I am smarter than at least some 5th graders (good thing I taught junior high science for all those years, sorry Victor!):


3 comments:

  1. Thank you Mr. Holland for creating such a jubilant and fearless environment to learn about our technology resources! We hope to see you again soon! Good luck on that STAAR Science test this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Mrs. Richardson and her class! Sounds like a great chance to make a class book about the movies too!: )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to YOU Mr. Holland for not only teaching the students, but helping the teachers learn as well. I LOVED having you in my classroom today!

    ReplyDelete